Thursday, April 7, 2011

What Happened to April 6?

I missed a day due to trying to figure out Emacs. I've been programming with a plain text editor and command line, so naturally I was pressured by fellow programmers to do things the right way-- choose an IDE. In particular, I was advised to use Emacs. Ideally I'd like to spend just 1 hour a day for these daily exercises, and starting with Emacs took way longer than that.

So far: frustrating.

Development environments have always been a problem for me. They seem to suck up more time than they save (mostly in dealing with configuration). Maybe that's partly because I need to stick with one long-term so that I get a real feel for it; so far, though, I've found it more convenient to just avoid them altogether.

So, I spent a day trying to figure out what exactly I'm supposed to "do" with Emacs. Specifically, I decided to figure out how "do" Common Lisp in Emacs. (Other languages will come later.) I'm still feeling more like it's a pain than a helper, but this tutorial helped me see that it has some advantages. So long as I don't try to do everything in emacs, and avoid the fancy configuration stuff that everyone seems to love, I should be over the 'time-sink' hump.

So that was yesterday. Now maybe I can sit down and do today's post.

No comments:

Post a Comment